The innovation lab is located within the Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering (MNE) Department within the School of Engineering at VCU. The MNE innovation lab facility provides students and faculty with state of the art advance additive manufacturing capabilities. Design, Fabrication, Prototyping, and Testing is provided to all faculty, staff, and students within the School of Engineering. Sponsored research projects, grant collaboration, and various outreach activities are welcome. This facility encourages and enhances learning within the design and additive manufacturing field of engineering.
Download the step by step user guide for our equipment: Innovation Lab User Guide
- Monday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Print Technology: Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM)
Supported Materials: PLA
- Height - 6.7 inches (170 mm)
- Width – 10 inches (255 mm)
- Depth – 6 inches (155 mm)
Layer Resolution: 4 mil | 0.004 inches 100 microns | 0.10 mm
- 10.0 L x 10.0 W x 12.5 H cm [3.9 L x 3.9 W x 4.9 H in]
- 1,250 cubic centimeters [76 cubic inches]
- 25.2 W x 19.9 D x 15.0 H cm [9.9 W x 7.8 D x 5.9 H in]
- 7,522 cubic centimeters [456 cubic inches]
- 30.5 L x 30.5 W x 45.7 H cm [12.0 L x 12.0 W x 18.0 H in]
- 42,512 cubic centimeters [2,592 cubic inches]
Supported Materials: Nylon, PLA, ABS, CPE, CPE+, PVA, PC, TPU 95A, and PP.
- Left or Right Nozzle – 215 x 215 x 300 mm [8.5 x 8.5 x 11.8 in.]
- Dual Extrusion – 197 x 215 x 300 mm [7.8 x 8.5 x 11.8 in.]
Layer Resolution: 0.40 mm nozzle: 200 to 20 microns
uPrint SE Plus prototypers
Polyjet Objet Eden260VS
Reverse Engineering - Portable 3D Scanners
Fabrication, Post-Processing, and Shop Tools Available for Use:
- Bench Grinder
- Clausing 2VS Mill
- Clausing 13”x25” Geared Head Lathe
- Clean Stations for Prototyped Parts
- Denford 2600 Pro 3-Axis CNC Router
- Dremel Tools
- Drill Press
- Horizontal Bandsaw
- Soldering Irons
- Table Saw
- Tabletop Sander
- Vertical Metal/Wood Bandsaw
- VLS4.60 Laser System