VCU Workshop on Sustainable Food Access through Sensing, Data Analytics, and Community Engagement
9–9:10 a.m. | Welcome & Introductions
9:10–10:15 a.m. | Session 1: Presentations
- Pre-Workshop Questionnaire Summary – Brian Verrelli
- (Re)Defining Food Deserts – Jonathan Jones
- Richmond Region Food Accessibility Datasets and Metrics – Sarin Adhikari
- Food System Equity and Access in the Age of COVID-19 – Brittany Keegan
10:15–10:30 a.m. | Break
10:30–11:30 a.m. | Session 1: Presentations (continued)
- The Role of Technology in Food Security – Nasibeh Zohrabi
- Community Engagement and Development – Basil I. Gooden
- Food policy and sustainability in Richmond area – John Accordino
- Project Goals and Measures of Success – Sherif Abdelwahed
11:30–Noon | General questions and answers
Noon–1 p.m. | Lunch Break
1–2 p.m. | Session 2: Breakout groups
- Datasets, metrics, technology and assessment measures
- Community engagement and development
- Lessons from related efforts outside Richmond
- Food system equity and access in the age of COVID-19
2–2:45 p.m. | Session 3: Discussion of breakout group topics
- Food Sustainability Efforts at VCU - Aashir Nasim
- Dissemination of workshop results
- Next steps and action items.
2:45–3 p.m. | Break
3–4 p.m. | Session 4: Conclusion and Wrap-up
- Workshop summary.
- Discussion of other planned activities such as “horizon scan” and “technical report”.
- Selection of the external evaluators committee for the project.
- Plan for the second workshop in Winter 2021.