General Employer FAQs
Handshake is the new recruiting platform for Virginia Commonwealth University students and alumni. As an employer, you will be able to post job/internship listings, register for career fairs, manage your on-campus interviewing and more!
Handshake also allows you to customize your profile and job listings to your liking.
To create an employer account, begin by visiting app.joinhandshake.com and then selecting Sign up for an account. You will then be guided through the registration process (make sure to select “Employer” when prompted for the type of account you are creating).
More tips on creating an employer account.
To create a company profile in Handshake, follow their How-To guide.
- Make sure that you have submitted an approval request to the college where you would like to post a job.
- Start by selecting the Jobs tab on the left side of the navigation bar to bring up the Jobs Overview page.
- Next, select New Job in the upper right corner of the page. After filling out as many of the fields as you can, select Create Job.
- You can then specify job qualifications to match the job with qualified students at the University. Make sure to click Update Qualifications after completing this form.
- At the Job Summary page, you are able to see an overview of all of the information you just filled out for your job. On the left side of the page you will see a Post to Colleges dropdown menu. Make sure that Virginia Commonwealth University is selected.
- As long as you have posted a job to our College, students will be able to find it if the position is active. Filling out as many fields as possible on the “Create a Job” form will help students find your job posting when searching for specific jobs.
- Contact Engineering Career Services to discuss a custom recruitment plan and branding opportunities. Engineering Career Services is happy you help connect with our students in a variety of ways to help you receive more applications for your open opportunity.
Yes, you can create resume books in Handshake.
- First, search for students by certain specifications by clicking on the “Students” tab on the left side of the navigation bar and using the options form to filter.
- After generating the list of students based on your search criteria, use the top checkbox to select each of these students.
- In the top right of the menu click “Bulk Actions” and select download application packages as a PDF or Zip file to have the packages sent you via email.
Note: You must have been granted permission by the University to search for students in order to generate resume books.
- When choosing the majors that can apply for the position, consider a wide range, as some programs cover similar information and skills. Including more majors in your posting will allow more candidates to apply.
- Include as much detail as possible throughout the post. The more descriptive job postings tend to get more, and better qualified, applicants.
- Explain your application process. Candidates need to know how to apply for the position.
- Contact Engineering Career Services to discuss a custom recruitment plan and branding opportunities. Engineering Career Services is happy to help you connect with our students in a variety of ways to help you receive more applications for your open opportunity.
- Click Interviews on the left navigation bar
- Click the Request Interview Schedule tab in the upper right corner.
- Fill out the basics section of the form.
- Use the step-by-step buttons (or the Next button) at the bottom of the screen to move to the next step: Qualifications. Be sure to review the two qualification options.
- Click Timeline or Next at the bottom of the screen to move to the next step.
- Select Request
- Your interview schedule will now be sent to the university you selected in the Basics section. Depending on the permissions you have at the College, the interview will be automatically approved or it will go into a pending status at the university. You will be notified when your schedule has been approved or declined.
More information on requesting an interview schedule.
- Log in to your Handshake account
- Click Profile at the top of the black sidebar on the left side of the page.
- On your profile page, click on the Account tab at the upper right-hand side.
- Select the option for Notification Preferences
- Modify your notification preferences.
If you need help with your account, many answers to common questions can be found on Handshake’s website: support.joinhandshake.com . You can also launch a support ticket from this site. Please also feel free to reach out to Engineering Career Services by emailing email@example.com.
Review the list of all College of Engineering student organizations and determine which groups to which you would like to connect. After selecting your groups, contact Engineering Career Services by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
To create a custom recruitment plan that includes connecting with faculty, contact Engineering Career Services by emailing email@example.com.
Career Fair FAQs
Wednesday, September 22, 2021 from 9:30 a.m. until 3 p.m.
For the your safety and that of our students, the Fall 2021 Career Fair will be hosted virtually through Handshake.
The Career Fair will run from 9:30 a.m. - 3 p.m. Employers will be able to create their own recruiting schedule during this time frame.
Once you create your employer account on Handshake, Engineering Career Services will be in touch to help get your recruiting schedule finalized in the app.
Handshake account and recruiting schedule and access to 600+ VCU engineers.
Create your own recruiting schedule. Students will reserve time slots to meet virtually with your recruiters based on the schedule that you create.
Instantly get student resumes. Once a scheduled meeting with a student begins their resume will instantly become accessible.
Virtual connections are made easy. Not every student is the same, so the way they connect shouldn’t be either. Through the Handshake platform, you can connect with students via video chat, by phone or through chat.
Private Sector and Government agencies and non-profits: $450
September, 22, 2021
Checks, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover
To pay by credit card: Visit https://www.support.vcu.edu/event/Fall2021cf
*Please note that a corporate credit card must be used to make payment.
To pay by check:
Please address and mail all checks as listed below:
College of Engineering Career Services
Virginia Commonwealth University
401 W Main St., Box 843064
Engineering Research Building, Room 1308
Richmond, VA 23284
Click on the link that you received to register for the career fair. Follow the instructions on the form to register for the fair. A step by step guide for registering can be found on Handshake’s Support Page. You can view your registration at any time by clicking the View Registration option (this also lets you know that your registration was successful). If you need to edit your registration, you must reach out to Engineering Career Services by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
We recommend having 2 - 3 recruiters actively participating in student meetings.