VCU offers a self-managed graduate application process that can be completed online. Details are available on the Graduate School website.
Completion of the application process also requires the submission of the following documents:
- Official transcript(s) of all undergraduate and graduate work sent directly from college or university registrars to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Prospective students who have studied outside of the U.S. must provide an official WES or ECE external credential evaluation as a required part of the admissions process. This report should be sealed and unopened, and sent directly to the Office of Admissions.
- Letters of recommendation from three present or former teachers or others believed by the applicant to be qualified to evaluate fitness to engage in graduate study for the degree in the field of choice
- A personal letter from the applicant summarizing motivation, education and aims in pursuing graduate study
- Scores for the verbal, quantitative and analytical portions of the Graduate Record Examination (Scores are required for all applicants and recommended for M.D./Ph.D. applicants. Advanced or subject tests are not required.)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language scores for international applicants for whom English is not the native language (The current minimum TOEFL score is 600 paper/100 internet-based.). Students also may take the International English Language Testing System test. The recommended minimum IELTS scores is 6.5 (academic band score).
Acceptance of an applicant is based upon the recommendation of the admissions committee with the approval of the program chair and the associate dean for graduate studies.
New students wishing to transfer into one of our degree programs must go through the regular application process. A maximum of 50 percent of the didactic hours required for a graduate degree may be transferred from another VCU program or outside institution and, if not applied previously toward another degree, may be applied toward a degree. Prerequisite course work that does not count toward the VCU degree may not be transferred.
Once a student has matriculated into one of our engineering graduate degree programs, they may submit a request to transfer course credits. Recommendations regarding transfer credit are initiated at the program level and then submitted to the engineering graduate office for review. Final review and approval is completed by the Graduate School.
When to apply
Students may apply for the fall semester or spring semester. Typically, students begin in the fall. In the biomedical engineering program, all new students begin their course of study in the fall semester (August). Spring semester admissions require the recommendation of the graduate program director, approval of the chair and the associate dean for graduate studies.
For the Commonwealth Graduate Engineering Program, students may begin a course of study in either the fall or spring semester.