- Funded by Mr. Mark Sternheimer, major benefactor and Foundation Board member
- Awarded to projects exhibiting outstanding innovation and entrepreneurship
- Highly prestigious – last year 8 out of 30 teams that applied received awards
- Excellent opportunity for experience, guidance and exposure
- Judged by representatives from companies in the Greater Richmond area
- Winning teams showcase their team and projects to professionals in the engineering field prior to the Expo.
- Friday, October 9, 2020 – One page proof of concept paper due by Noon
- Friday, October 23, 2020 – Finalists selected
- Friday, November 6, 2020 – A completed application packet due by Noon
- Friday, November 20, 2020 – Finalists present to the Sternheimer Award selection committee
- Monday, November 23, 2020 – Sternheimer Award winners notified
VCU College of Engineering Foundation Mark A. Sternheimer, Sr. Design Award Grant Application Process and Timeline
The VCU School of Engineering Foundation is pleased to invite teams to apply for the Mark A. Sternheimer Senior Capstone Design Award. The Sternheimer Award was established in 2012 by Mr. Sternheimer with the intent of promoting innovative and entrepreneurial projects.
Sternheimer Award applications are judged by a committee of representatives from companies in the region and beyond. In addition to potential funding, teams are provided a unique opportunity to showcase their team and projects to professionals in the engineering field prior to the Expo.
The timeline and details for each step of the Sternheimer Award application process are listed below:
Friday, October 9, 2020
A one-page proof of concept paper that includes the following is due by Noon.
- A summary of the project and its purpose.
- A summary of the innovative nature of the project and/or how it furthers research or development on a particular topic.
- A statement on how the project positively impacts the world in which we live.
- Signatures, emails, and phone numbers for of all members of the team and the faculty advisor.
Papers should be provided in .pdf format and emailed to Dr Ben Ward. Director Project Outreach, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Papers that arrive after Noon on Oct. 9 will not be considered.
Friday, October 23, 2020
Teams selected (Finalists) to continue in the granting process will be contacted.
Friday, November 6, 2020
A completed application packet that includes the following is due by Noon.
- (1-page limit): A detailed project abstract that also includes the title of your project, names of team members and their department affiliation(s), and name of faculty advisor(s). The abstract must coherently describe the project, its purpose, and the methodology for project completion.
- (1-page limit): A line item budget that reflects all expenses related to the completed project.
- Suggested but not required (1-page limit): Any supplementary materials or images that help describe your project.
Applications should be provided in .pdf format and emailed to Dr Ben Ward at email@example.com.
Friday, November 20, 2020
Finalists will present to the Sternheimer Award selection committee (details on time, location, etc. to be provided closer to the date). Presentations should use the following guidelines:
- Last no longer than 5 minutes. There will be 3 minutes added for questions and answers.
- No handouts will be allowed. Any supplemental material should be shared via a PowerPoint as part of the presentation. PowerPoint files should be brought to the presentation on a thumb drive.
- Professional dress is encouraged.
Monday, November 23, 2020
Sternheimer Award winners will be notified.
Late or incomplete papers/applications will not be considered.
Questions? Please contact Dr Ben Ward, Director Project Outreach, VCU College of Engineering, Room 344, West Hall Engineering - firstname.lastname@example.org