Dahlgren Academic Fellowship
Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren Division (NSWCDD) Employees
NSWCDD employees should follow the procedures below to apply and register for classes. This information is applicable to NSWCDD employees only.
Applying for admission
Note: You must register for a class in the semester you submit your application for admission.
There are two ways to apply for admission:
If you want to take a class but do not yet want to apply to the M.S. program, use the Dahlgren Application Form. You must submit the application form before you can register for a class. VCU utilizes an online registration system and the form provides information that will be used to enter you into the VCU student system for enrollment. Please give the form to Thang Dinh.
Note: You can only transfer six credits earned before being formally admitted to the program. Be sure to apply for standard admission before taking your third class.
If you want to apply to the M.S. in Computer Science degree program, follow the procedure for online application on the VCU Graduate School website. Deadline for fall admission is June 1 and deadline for spring admission is Nov. 15.
GRE scores should be submitted with the application.
Please note: You are responsible for knowing, or acquiring knowledge of, all prerequisite topics (undergraduate or graduate) when registering for a class. You can find course prerequisites and content in the computer science course descriptions. If in doubt, contact the instructor for specific prerequisite information.
Leave of absence and time limits
The allowable time limit for completing the M.S. degree is six years after admission. Any exception requires a special request. It is recognized that part-time students who are employed full-time may not be able to take a class in a given semester.
However, if you will not take any classes in the spring and fall of a calendar year, you must apply for a leave of absence through your adviser. Otherwise, you will have to reapply to the program when you return. A leave of absence does not extend the six-year time limit.
Been accepted? Congratulations! Read on for instructions on how to register for classes at VCU.
You will need your “V-number” that was included in your acceptance letter. This is a number in the form Vxxxxxxxx. You were also assigned a VCU email address upon admission. Please check this address frequently as all official VCU correspondence will be sent to this email address.
You will need to obtain a VCU eID to register for classes and to access your VCU records and other resources such as online library materials. Visit VCU Technology Services to obtain your eID and create a strong password.
You should register for classes as soon as online registration is available for graduate students. This assures you the best chance of getting the classes you want. You can view the Schedule of Classes and final exam schedule at the VCU Enrollment Services website.
- Obtain the necessary approval from your manager to take the class(es). NSWCDD employee are required to follow standard academic approval procedures announced prior to each semester.
- Follow the online registration instructions at http://rar.vcu.edu/registration/
- Special sections of courses have been set up for students at Dahlgren. Most are labeled C90 or C01, but multiple sections of the same course (i.e. Special Topics) may be numbered C91, C92, C02, etc. Make sure that you only register for sections labeled Cxx.
- The add/drop date ends after the first week of class. You are responsible for dropping the course online by that date if you decide not to take the class. After the add/drop period, the class will be billed according to VCU policy.
- If you have any questions about a class, please do not hesitate to contact the instructor.
- Please refer to the VCU Records and Registration site for appropriate forms (Application for Virginia In-state Tuition, New Student Data Form, Certification of Eligibility, and Official Transcript Request Form)
Nondegree-seeking Student Application
Use the Nondegree-seeking Student Application if you do not yet want to formally apply to the M.S. program. This form is required prior to registering for your first VCU class in order to get you into the student database.
Program of Studies form
The Program of Studies is used to plan your classes for your degree.
- When filling out the form, list your adviser as “Graduate Director.”
- The date admitted is the semester and year of admission given in your notification letter of full or provisional admission to the program.
- Put an “X” on the line selecting the thesis or non-thesis option depending on which you think you will do – you can change at any time.
- For courses you plan to take, you can enter “tbd” (to be determined) or enter a semester and year from the “past and projected course offerings list.” We make every attempt to offer the planned courses, but some course substitution may be necessary.
Graduate Course Transfer Request form
Use the Graduate Course Transfer Request form to request transfer credit for a course that you have taken before admission to the program or to approve a course that you wish to take from another university or VCU program. Only six credits taken from VCU or elsewhere can be transferred before your admission to the program. Because VCU participates in the Commonwealth Graduate Engineering Program, you may transfer up to 15 graduate credits from other CGEP schools, or up to nine credits from non-CGEP schools. However, once admitted, approval to take courses elsewhere that duplicate courses that VCU offers will not routinely be granted.
Research Proposal form
The Research Proposal form is required for advance approval of either an independent study project or directed research for the master’s thesis. You must first find a faculty member willing to supervise the research.
VCU contact information
Dahlgren contact information
NSWCDD Academic Programs Manager
17632 Dahlgren Road Suite 200
Building 216, Room 105
Dahlgren, Virginia 22448-5117
Phone: (540) 653-3228
Fax: (540) 653-5359