Since its inception in 1996, the Virginia Commonwealth University College of Engineering has brought innovative, real-world engineering education to Central Virginia. The college enrolls over 1,600 undergraduate and 250 graduate students and offers degrees in biomedical engineering, chemical and life science engineering, computer engineering, computer science, electrical engineering, engineering, mechanical and nuclear engineering, mechanical engineering, and, in conjunction with the School of Business, a master’s degree in computer and information systems security. The programs emphasize creativity, entrepreneurship, business skills, communication, teamwork and undergraduate research. Students benefit from close, personal interactions with faculty and from the many opportunities available for internships, co-ops and undergraduate research experiences. These work experiences provide students with a clear understanding of the application of engineering and computer science skills to real-world environments.
Our mission statement
Through teaching and research, the VCU College of Engineering creates knowledge and transforms ideas in engineering and the life sciences into technologies that enhance regional and global prosperity. We prepare our students for leadership and entrepreneurship through collaborative and interdisciplinary partnerships.
To establish the VCU College of Engineering as a preeminent college in education, research and technological development at the intersection of engineering, business, medicine and the life sciences.
Our core values
- Personalization – We share personal concern for the well-being and success of each of our students.
- Impact – We strive to work in areas that will have a broad positive impact on humanity.
- Creativity and discovery – We bring creativity into engineering problem-solving; it’s at the heart of what we practice and teach our students.
- Personal responsibility – We expect all members of our community to take responsibility for his or her actions.
- Diversity of ideas – We rely on interdisciplinary team perspectives to bring a diversity of ideas to our professional and teaching practices.