Maker Garage provides a space for students to freely use equipment with proper training.
Hours of operation
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.*
After hour access is based on the availability of staffing and interest. If granted, hours will be Monday through Friday – 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. and on Saturday 8:00 a.m. to Noon and certain equipment will be restricted.
*Subject to change
The VCU College of Engineering Maker Garage is a newly renovated 4,000 square foot facility located at 12 W. Cary Street. This facility provides faculty and students with state-of-the-art traditional and advanced manufacturing capabilities. Maker Garage offers machining and fabrication courses to students while providing professional services to the entire university research community.
This facility consists of several distinct areas designed to support the collaborative and multidisciplinary environment the college of engineering fosters within the VCU community. The main makerspace area contains traditional metalworking machines comprised of bandsaws, drill presses, grinders, manual and computer numerical control (CNC) mills and lathes, sanders, and welding equipment. Additionally, users will find an OMAX waterjet system, pipe bender, and plasma cutter.
There is an assembly area where students have space designated for various projects related to Capstone, VIP, and/or student organizations. A student computing and conference area has been setup with multiple workstations allowing users to modify their designs more quickly while providing an area for design teams to hold professional meetings. Additionally, this makerspace allows all student users an innovation space where they can work through all phases of a project in one central location. A user of this facility can take their project from initial design straight through to the final functioning assembled product.
Safety, of all users, is a top priority in all functions and operations. Strict guidelines are in place to provide a safe, clean, and organized environment for while fostering a positive and supportive learning environment.
The VCU College of Engineering Maker Garage offers the following
- Design assistance, assembly, fabrication, and repairs of laboratory components, equipment, and machinery using a wide range of materials available in-house or through special order
- Fully equipped machine shop with modern precision tooling and machinery including CNC Machining
- Safety Training Courses that lead to makerspace use
- Supervised student courses/workshops that allow hands-on access to equipment and machines for undergraduate and graduate engineering students involved in design and fabrication of class and/or research projects
- The space is available to engineering student organizations that are involved in design related intercollegiate projects.
How to use the space
The space is open to all students who have obtained the proper certification and training. Students seeking to use this space must first complete Makerspace Orientation and General Safety Training and demonstrate the ability to operate basic equipment before access is granted. For more advanced equipment and tools, higher level training courses will be available and required.