How to Become a VCU Engineer
You know you want to be an engineer or computer scientist; VCU’s College of Engineering educates and trains the best of the best. So what’s next? How do you form your future at a highly competitive and cooperative university like VCU?
Prospective Students: Rams of the Future
The Office of Undergraduate Enrollment for VCU College of Engineering has a highly trained staff of admissions counselors ready to guide incoming first-year and transfer students as they conduct their college search and application process. For everything from general inquiries to campus visits and more, please visit the admisions page.
We encourage new Rams to consider applying to be part of SPARK; VCU’s community for future engineers and programmers. Located in the brand new Gladding Residence Center, adjacent to Engineering West Hall, SPARK provides an environment in which students can surround themselves with like-minded peers and broaden the VCU engineering experience beyond the regular academic day.
Current VCU Students: Rams of Today
Students who wish to change their major to engineering are encouraged to meet with the advisor of any program they may be considering. Find the advisor who can help you.
In order to be assured of admission as a change of major student, you must meet the criteria listed for your program of choice below. However, students who have a demonstrated record of success at VCU in math and science courses who may not yet meet these requirements are encouraged to apply, as all students are evaluated for admission. Students not admitted to VCU’s College of Engineering through the regular application process but still matriculating to VCU must complete at least one semester at VCU prior to being considered for a change of major.
Requirements for Guaranteed Acceptance
- Biomedical Engineering: 3.6 Cumulative GPA at VCU, minimum 12 credit hours. Successful Completion of BIOL 151, BIOZ 151, MATH 200, MATH 201, all with grades of “B” or better.
- Chemical Engineering: 3.0 GPA at VCU, minimum 12 credit hours. Completion of CHEM 101, CLSE 101, and/or ENGR 101, all with grades of “B” or better.
- Computer or Electrical Engineering: 3.0 GPA at VCU, minimum 12 credit hours. Completion of MATH 200 and 201, and any of PHYS 207, EGRE 101, or ENGR 101, all with grades of “B” or better.
- Computer Science: 3.0 GPA at VCU, minimum 12 credit hours. Completion of any two of MATH 200, MATH 201, and STAT 212, all with grades of “B” or better. Any of CHEM 101 and CHEZ 101, PHYS 207, or BIOL 151 and BIOZ 151, all with grades of “B” or better.
- Mechanical Engineering: 3.0 GPA at VCU, minimum 12 credit hours. Completion of MATH 200, MATH 201, PHYS 207, and CHEM 101 with a GPA of 3.0 or higher, inclusive of all attempts (grades excluded from GPA calculation through historical repeat will still be included when calculating a GPA for this purpose).
Should you meet the requirements for admission to the major of your choice, please complete the change of major form.
Undergraduate Student Services conducts regular information sessions for current Rams considering a change to engineering or computer science. Upcoming dates, times, and locations of those sessions can be found below.